The Béal Beo pupils’ book is written and designed to cover the ten themes of the curriculum;
- Béal Beo contains engaging stories, games, tasks, animations and characters with relevant and current material, providing rich exposure to the Irish language, as recommended by the new Primary Curriculum.
- Integrates the combined strands of listening, reading, writing, speaking and oral language
- The pupils’ book is central to the programme and contains engaging stories with relevant and current material to suit each age group
- The stories provide a multitude of opportunities for integration across the curriculum and are written in both descriptive language and direct speech
- There is also a direct focus on oral language as presented in ‘Labhair Linn’ the oral language activity at the beginning of each week and provision is made for child-teacher and child-child oral interaction
- Drama is used as a teaching method in the grammar sections to make it enjoyable and to reinforce points of grammar
- Repetition and expansion of vocabulary and feidhmeanna teanga throughout support both revision and development of the language
- The textbook is designed to be both teacher- and child-friendly, with symbols to highlight where additional digital resources are available
- There is a concise and structured grammar programme covering all grammatical points, mostly taught through drama and communicative language.